Part 1 – Introduction to the Controversy
- Does God hate me because I'm LGBT?
- Thoughts on the Christian's struggle with sins of the flesh
- How do I follow Jesus as a same sex attracted person?
- Survey of the 2 major evangelical approaches to the LGBT question
- Key "Progressive Evangelical" figures (Matthew Vines, Jen Hatmaker)
- Can a someone be a Christian and gay?
- Book chapter: "Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own body?" Without a Doubt, by Kenneth Samples
- Book: Same Sex Controversy, by James White
Part 2 – What does the Old Testament teach about homosexuality?
- Brief review of lesson 1
- Genesis 1–2
- Genesis 19 (Sodom)
- Ezek. 16:48–50
- Lev. 18:22 and 20:13
- Mark 10:17–31
- Video: "Homosexuality & the Bible," with Robert Gagnon (good discussion of the Christian's relationship with the Mosaic law)
- Video: "Homosexuality: A Christian View," with Dr. Wesley Hill (New Testament scholar; celibate same sex attracted Christian man)
Part 3 – What does the New Testament teach about homosexuality?
- Brief review of previous lessons
- Teachings of Jesus
- Romans 1
- 1 Cor. 6:9–11; 1 Tim. 1:8–11
- Common informal fallacies:
- ad hominem
- appeal to pity
- appeal to personal spiritual experience
- This is another example of the appeal to personal spiritual experience that I didn't have time to play in class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFkgS0PZxI
- Video: "Gay Christian Theologian Says Marriage Should be Heterosexual, with Dr. Wesley Hill (New Testament scholar; celibate same sex attracted Christian man)
- Book: The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics, by Robert Gagnon
Part 4 – What causes homosexuality?
- Complex web of issues:
- Sexual experimentation
- Cultural persuasion; gay propaganda
- Is there a gay gene?
- Video: "Are People Born Gay?"
- Book: Homosexuality: The Use of Scientific Research in the Church's Moral Debate, by Mark Yarhouse
Part 5 – What does it mean to be transgender?
- Definitions of key terms
- Progressive vs. Traditional paradigm
- Montage of testimonies of former transgender people
- Quick responses to transgender people
- Video: "Transgenderism" with Dr. Robert Gagnon
- Book: Understanding Gender Dysphoria, by Mark Yarhouse
Part 6 – How do we love?
Interviews on Practical Loving
- Video: "Dr. Rob Gagnon on Transgenderism," interview with Dr. Robert Gagnon (New Testament scholar)
- Book: Homosexuality and the Christian: A Guide for Parents, Pastors and Friends, by Mark Yarhouse