- Reader-centered approach vs. Author-centered approach to the text
- How to study a Bible verse:
- Identify your bias
- Ask questions
- Identify the larger thought-unit (near context and far context)
- Matt. 18:18
At-Home Skills Practice:
- Step 1: Read through Genesis 1–11 at least one time. Ideally, do this all in one sitting. But if you can’t do that, do it in two.
- Step 2: Read through Genesis 1:1–2:3 at least 3 times this week out loud. Do this at different times in the week.
- Step 3: Write out 10 questions that you have about Genesis 1:1–2:3 (just like we practiced in class together). Bring these questions with you to next week’s class.
- Step 4: Meditate on this creation account through your week. What is the main point of this passage? Ask the Holy Spirit to help you. Bring your answer with you next week to class.
- Order the textbook: How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth